A life where arts & crafts meets food & fitness

_

Sunday, August 22, 2010

And there she goes... slowly, but she's going!

I am a runner.
I am a walker.
I am less afraid to actually run.

Yes, you read right, afraid.

Part of the Healthy Living Summit that I thought was extremely good was a panel/presentation on time management. It wasn't preachy or scold-ey. It just made sense. One part including why something wasn't being done. I thought of this with running. I'd want to run but I was embarrassed that I didn't know what I was doing. For some reason the thought of running then stopping and walking would have random people and to be extra extreme local squirrels and whatnot staring at me. I didn't want to be the center of bad attention. I didn't want to fail.

I honestly don't know why this mindset got associated with running. I ran track in junior high and loved it. For random reasons, I didn't in high school. College level didn't even come to mind especially since I hadn't seriously run in ages.

This morning I met up with Stina and we headed out to a local trail. She didn't laugh at me when I said I had to walk, not that I had thought she would have though. I felt fine running slowly then walking and swapping between the two. We did about 4 miles of this combo. I say about since the distance I had tried to find online and this was the only option given and she didn't have her Garmin with her.

We already have talked about heading out again. While exact time, date isn't set I'm looking forward to it.



Fervent Foodie had a recent post w fast dinners. I commented there as well but thought to share it here. This was something I just threw together one night in a pinch but it worked well and therefore I wasn't running out for past food or defrosting a frozen thing.

A fast done -in-10-mins dinner that works well for me:

green beans (leftovers heated up or frozen/defrosted)
whole wheat pasta (whatever is in the pantry)
spoonful of country crock (w calcium/D) amount depending on actual serving size
2 shakes MCcormick kick n’ chicken spice mix
2-3 shakes Parmesan cheese
STIR!

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo! That's awesome. I can totally relate to that - when I first started running, I was convinced that everyone was staring at me and watching and judging me for being so slow/out of shape/whatever. You know in your head that no one really cares, but you're still convinced there's an invisible audience.

    It gets better - the more you run, the better you'll feel and the less you'll worry about your pretend audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!! Run/walks are great. I love easy fast meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you for getting out there and run/walking! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete