A life where arts & crafts meets food & fitness

_

Sunday, August 1, 2010

It has been a weird few days. I don't know if it is the weather, though it has been hot/warm/rain/looks like rain combo. Or if I need more sleep, though I have been napping and catching up on sleep. Or if I need to make sure I'm not getting sick. I've been camped out on the couch napping/watching TV with my head on the heating pad for a good part of the day. I know you are technically not to lay on it but it helps when my head/sinuses are congested.

Even with feeling out of it today, I was determined to not eat junk food/fast food. It's the easy way out but in the end I know it's not the best idea. I made a giant green monster to start as well as use up my spinach. We are really trying to make sure all of the produce is eating before it goes bad. There is usually a small part of it that doesn't get eaten. While it isn't a giant amount, it's still better to put it in something/plan out before it is wasted.

I've had a taste for french toast for a few days now and decided to make some for brunch. I use a modified version of a recipe that was in a cookbook (thinking Joy of Cooking) where you add vanilla to the egg mixture. I added some cinnamon as well. It turned out perfect and I topped it with strawberry preserves since we are out of syrup.

Late lunch was ham, cheddar cheese, yellow mustard and horseradish mayo on a roll.

For a good amount of time Sundays were Crock Pot days. We found a good sized one on sale at Target awhile back and figured to make the best of it. Plus with our work schedules it really helps.

Today's Slow Cooker Sunday:

  • 2 chicken breasts, cut into medium pieces
  • 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
  • 1 orange bell pepper, coarsely chopped
  • approx cup frozen corn
  • 8 large to medium white mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/3 white onion, finely chopped
  • 1 jar mild salsa
  • handful black olives
  • 1/4 cup water

I didn't measure the spices/seasonings which is usually the case. It was 1 - 2 shakes of each: paprika, garlic powder, mustard powder, cumin, red pepper flakes. I set it to high for about 5 hrs. I defrosted the chicken in the microwave so it was semi cooked when I put it in. I usually wait until it starts to break down/shred for it to be "done" even though it is usually cooked all the way through prior to that.

Yesterday I ended up hooping for awhile to clear my head as well as work on the knot in my back. I've found that the hoop works well in not hurting it yet getting rid of the tightness from sitting funny. I've decided to start keeping playlists with it so that I can make a master list on my itunes eventually.

This was from my Sam Sparro station on Pandora. It worked out that the Moby song was last since I wanted a slower song. I usually try to not let the hoop drop for the entire song. If I don't try to chest hoop too much and keep it hip/waist level that ends up being the case.

  • Teardrop - Massive Attack = also theme song for House
  • In the Waiting Line - Zero 7
  • Bonafied Lovin' (Tough Guys) - Chromeo
  • 21st Century Life - Sam Sparro
  • Aerodynamic - Daft Punk
  • Porcelain - Moby

No comments:

Post a Comment